Did you know that most of the soaps contain lye or sodium hydroxide, which cause damage to the skin?
Were you aware that bathing gels and liquids contain numerous chemicals some of which are known to be carcinogens?
The truth is that most of us are aware of the fact that we are using these chemicals in our daily bathing routine. But most of us cannot imagine our lives without soaps and bathing liquids.
I couldn’t too, so I made a decision to ditch the soap or foaming agents for a few days in a week and use something natural. I got the idea when I read about a natural talc free body powder.
I thought, if there is a talc free body powder, there has to be Lye free soaps too. But then I realized that soaps (homemade or commercially available) cannot be made without the use of Lye.
But then I stumbled upon this bath powder recipe that has the traditional ubtan as its base. This bath powder recipe is very simple and can be made at home with easily available ingredients.
Benefits of natural bath powder recipe:
Let us know more about the ingredients in this bath powder and its benefits.
- Gram Flour
Used for centuries for skin and hair care, gram flour, besan, kadala maavu or kadalai maavu is a fantastic protein for the skin. It helps to whiten the skin, prevents acne and acne marks and also works as a very good de-tanning agent.
- Green Gram Flour
Hare moong ka atta, green gram flour or cherupayar podi is an amazing ingredient for sensitive skin. It suits the gentle skin of babies too. It helps to maintain the softness of the skin.
- Neem Powder
This ingredient helps to prevent skin infections, addresses acne related problems and works as an anti-microbial agent. You can also read the DIY neem packs for hair and skin.
- Turmeric powder
Turmeric powder also helps to even out the skin tone and keeps skin infections at bay with its antiseptic properties.
- Kasturi Manjal
Kasthuri manjal also known as amba haldi helps to brighten the skin and reduces the facial hair growth.
Advantages of this bath powder:
- It will give the user a clean complexion and an even tone
- It will help maintain healthy skin devoid of skin problems in the long run
- It works on all skin types and is a great exfoliating agent
- It doesn’t deplete the layer of natural oils from the skin
- It is preservative and chemical free so it is environment friendly
Bath powder recipe for supple and smooth skin:
Now that you know the advantages, let us learn how to make bath powder at home.
- Besan or Gram flour – 1/3 cup
- Green gram flour or hari moong ka atta – 1/4 cup
- Neem leaves powder or neem patti powder – 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric or haldi powder – 1.5 teaspoon
- Kasturi manjal powder (optional) – 1.5 teaspoon
Mix all the ingredients using a spoon and store the bath powder in an airtight container.
- Kasturi manjal helps reduce hair growth. It doesn’t stain the clothes or hands.
- Try to use good quality and finely powdered ingredients to prepare this.
- If you are grinding the powders at home, then sun-dry them before grinding and ensure it is ground to a fine powder.
Mix the required amount with a little water, curd, milk or rose water to make a paste and apply on the skin. You can massage it gently and then wash off with water.
You can also make a face mask using this powder and keep it on the skin for a few minutes until dry and wash off with water.
This bath powder works great after an oil massage too.
Hope you all liked this simple bath powder recipe mix and will use it for yourself and your family. It is great and you can observe the changes in your skin within a week’s usage.
Do share your feedback in the comments section and do not forget to share the article with your near and dear ones.